- Category: Photographs
- Last Updated on Saturday, 31 March 2012 23:05
- Published on Friday, 22 April 2011 21:50
This c.1890 photograph was taken by Albert Coleman from atop the Massillon Water Supply Company standpipe which once stood on the east end of State Avenue.
It was originally collected by Karl Spuhler (d.1990) and has appeared at least twice in The Evening Independent (May 1, 1962 and September 4, 1976) and in the book Wheat, Glass, Stone and Steel by Ruth Kane. It is currently in the collection of the Massillon Museum, and used here with permission. Labels have been added. (Click on the photo to open a full-scale image in a new browser window).
On May 1, 1962, The Evening Independent published the following description:
"The late Albert Coleman photographed [the standpipe's] view in about 1890. Large buildings in the distance at the left center and right are the old North Street school (replaced by Longfellow junior high) and St. Mary's Catholic church, minus its tower which was built about 25 years later. Horse barns and outdoor privies are much in evidence near the houses in foreground. Picture is from the collection of Karl L. Spuhler of 1204 11th St. NE."
The postcard to the right is from a collection of the Columbus Metropolitan Library. It shows the stand pipe from which the "view" was taken.
The image above is of North School, built in 1879 and shown in the top left corner of "View from the Standpipe." Photo of North School from oldohioschools.com.
The map below shows the location of some of the buildings in Coleman's photograph. Click on the markers to open a window with information about the building at that location. If the map does not display below, you can view it by clicking here. The map will open in a new browser window. If you can identify any locations or buildings in the photograph, please contact us.
View View from the Standpipe in a larger map
- Next >>